What are your team key projects?
Employer: Łukasiewicz Research Network – Institute of Aviation
The EDC Avionics team works on the electronic systems for aircrafts and adjacent markets (e.g. landing gear control systems, data concentrators network, converted turbines for industrial applications etc.). We are currently in the process of growing our Avionics Hardware Engineering Team to continue working alongside our well-established Systems and Software departments.
As FPGA Design Engineer you will be responsible for design and development of electronic circuits for products intended for use in aviation applications and adjacent markets. Your scope of duties will include FPGA analysis and design of FPGA implementation(s) based on requirements.
You will work on
- Design and development for FPGA and FPGA-based SoCs used in new electronic products ranging from simple hardware solutions to highly complex embedded processing systems
- Develop detailed specifications based on requirements and implement FPGA designs in accordance with those defined requirements and/or specifications
- Collaborate with other members of the design team to evaluate possible alternatives during the development process and determine best approach based on performance, cost, and resources
- Perform simulation activities including timing analysis, behavioural, and functional simulations
- Mentor junior members of the engineering staff to promote design team abilities and establish good working practices
- Develop test benches and other test tools as needed to complete verification of FPGA designs
- Participate in the bring-up of new, custom FPGA-based hardware with support from firmware and electrical engineers
- Support hardware development through schematic design and in some cases PCB layout
- Document ideas, designs, specifications, and instructions to client standards
What we expect from you?
- BS/BSc or higher degree in Electronics Engineering or similar
- Very good English skills
- Significant working experience of design and implementation of complex FPGA solutions for industrial/ medical/ automotive/ aviation/Telecoms market
- Experience integrating and verifying FPGA designs and components on product board (i.e. beyond EVBs)
- Experience of Dfx (Design for Test, Manufacture, Reliability) best practice
- Ability to author & review documentation (e.g. plans, requirements, design descriptions, test procedures etc)
- Demonstrated skill in independently using electronics lab equipment to develop/troubleshoot low-level drivers and hardware integration for interfaces such as I2C, SPI, UART, USB, etc
- Demonstrated skill in developing original designs with VHDL for FPGAs and/or FPGA-based SoCs
- Experience developing testbenches and applying simulation techniques including timing analysis, etc.
- Experience designing real-time processing solutions e.g. image/video processing
- Be able to work with a minimum of supervision and follow established design procedures during the development cycle, documenting the design to client standards
- Must possess good interpersonal skills and have the ability to work between multiple departments in carrying out this position’s duties
- Strong oral and written communication skills (in English)
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills (Ability to influence others and lead small teams)
- Lead initiatives of moderate scope and impact
- Ability to coordinate several projects simultaneously
- Effective problem identification and solution skills
- Proven analytical and organizational ability
- Design for environment (e.g. Vibration, temperature)
- Aerospace or similar safety critical design experience (e.g. automotive, medical)
- Electronic circuit modelling and simulation.
- Knowledge of PCB technologies and manufacturing
- Able to work according to company and industry standards and design processes
- Strong understanding of tools and methodologies used in the context of FPGA development and integration. Familiarity with source control via established systems such as Git is a plus
- Appreciation of design for EMC techniques
Desirable tools experience:
- Professional FPGA IDE (e.g. Vivado, Quartus, etc)
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel)
- Requirements management (e.g. DOORS)