The Engineer / Technologist contributes to the GE Gas Power Materials and Processes Engineering (MPE) in order to meet assigned objectives. Primary focus will be on wrought materials used throughout cold and hot sections of a turbine with possible extension to other components of gas turbines. Role will encompass material selection, manufacturing support, material analyses and definition of actions to improve quality of products. In this role the individual will work within defined parameters to make decisions to resolve issues of moderate complexity, by taking timely action and/or short-term planning and by applying sound engineering principles and judgment.
You will work on
- Engineer/Technologist provides direction and assistance to work group in order to meet assigned objectives. In this role you will work within defined parameters to make decisions, apply concepts to issues of moderate complexity, and resolve issues through immediate action or short-term planning
- Technical support within materials engineering with respect to projects and products focused on steels and super-alloy metallurgy and joining technologies.
- Provide metallurgical support for global (mainly European) sourcing of wrought components for gas turbines; define requirements based on internal specifications and industrial standards
- Disposition of material substitutions and deviations
- Material characterization i.e. defining testing requirements, verification of test reports
- Execute with guidance material analyses and testing
- Effectively document results and present them in formal and informal reviews, document technical data generated to substantiate the assigned components
What we expect from you?
- MSc/PhD in Materials/Metallurgy
- Sound knowledge of steel and superalloy metallurgy
- Understanding interrelations between the material, manufacturing processes and resulting microstructures and mechanical properties
- Knowledge of materials testing and evaluation of properties
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a global and cross-functional environment
- Self-starter with flexibility to adjust to changing priorities
- English language written and verbal communication skills including technical English
- Experience working with and/or supporting a manufacturing environment
- Experience with welding and brazing technologies for steels and superalloys
- Knowledge of International & National Material Standards (ASTM, AMS, ISO, ASME, etc.)
- Previous exposure to international work environment in matrixed organization
- Familiarity with the Power Generation products